Updated: Nov 30, 2021
Most weeks I make a healthier cake for a morning snack for the family and the most popular one is this carrot and walnut cake.
The original recipe I found on the internet from a not so healthy version of carrot and walnut cake, but I've modified the ingredients, so it is a healthier alternative to store bought cake that all the family still love!
This cake is now packed full of some nutritious wholefoods that are delicious, satisfying ingredients.
Yields - 16 servings Prep time - 15min Cooking time - 40 to 50min Difficulty - Beginner
2 cups Organic wholegrain spelt flour
2 tsps. Aluminium free baking powder, flat
1 tsp Aluminium free baking soda, flat
1 tsp organic mixed spice
1 tsp ground Ceylon cinnamon
2 cups grated carrot (2 large carrots)
1 cup chopped Australian or Organic walnuts
1 cup Organic unrefined sunflower oil
3 free range eggs, lightly beaten
* 1/2 cup water if needed to make the batter slightly smoother.
125g Paris Creek Quark or Biodynamic yogurt (the yogurt has to be strained first)
2 to 3 tsps. finely grated lemon rind, unwaxed
1 1/2 cups Rapadura sugar, ground to icing sugar
Walnuts to decorate
I use a Thermomix to make this cake but combining ingredients in a mixing bowl and blending thoroughly works well too.
- Walnuts can be chopped first in the Thermomix, 5 seconds speed 6.
- Place the grated carrot, walnuts, and Rapadura sugar into the mixing bowl.
- Add the spelt flour, mixed spice, Ceylon cinnamon over the top of the carrots, walnuts and Rapadura sugar and give the bowl a shake to start and move it through the bottom ingredients.
- Evenly pour the sunflower oil over the spelt flour and then pour the eggs into the bowl.
- Mix on reverse for 15 seconds, speed 2. While mixing add in water if needed to make the mixture slightly smoother (you don't want the mixture to be too runny) but still a thicker consistency.
- Slowly increase the speed up to 6 for 20 seconds, as you're mixing you should see the mixture slightly change to a lighter colour but if it doesn't that's fine because the spelt flour can vary in colour which gives the mixture a different colour to begin with.
- Preheat oven to 180 deg. C. Oven settings on bake not fan-bake. Using compostable brown paper, line a 20inch square cake pan, pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 40 to 50 min or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave cake in pan for 15 min before turning out.
- Mill Rapadura sugar in the Thermomix bowl, speed 9, 20 to 30 seconds.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the Thermomix bowl and blend 20 seconds speed 6 or until the mixture has a smooth consistency.
* The original recipe uses cream cheese which I've used before when I've been organised enough to make my own using Biodynamic yogurt, here is the recipe if your interested!
Happy and healthy baking.... Let me know how you liked it.
To your health and wellness!
2021 Marianne Roberts.